Saturday 23 August 2014

Jamie Oliver's Asian Tuna, Coconut Rice & "Jiggy Jiggy Greens" | My Take

Ingredients:
(Serves 4)

Tuna:
4 Fresh Tuna Fillets
200g Sesame Seeds
2 Green Tea Bags (I chose not to use these since I don't like green tea)
Salt 
Sesame Oil

Greens:
Bunch of Asparagus
Bunch of Tenderstem Broccoli
Bunch of Bok Choi/Pak Choi 
2 Cloves of Garlic (I chose to omit this)
Teriyaki Sauce

Rice:
Basmati Rice
1 Tin of Coconut Milk

Optional Dressing :
Sushi Ginger
Juice of Half a Pink Grapefruit
(I didn't make this since I really don't like ginger)

Extras
1 Red Chili
2 Spring Onions
Bunch of Fresh Coriander
Soy Sauce

Method:
1) I began by sprinkling sesame seeds and a couple of pinches of salt on a board. I then pressed the tuna raw tuna fillets into them before setting them aside.

2) I added the tin of coconut milk to a pan, then filled the tin with boiling water and poured that in, then i filled the tin again with rice and added that to the pan. I let it simmer with the lid slightly open and turned it off after 10 minutes.

3) With the rice simmering away, I finely chopped all my greens, as well as a red chili, the spring onions and the coriander. 

4) I added some oil to a pan on a medium heat, and, once hot I put in my greens, keeping the chili, spring onions and coriander aside. I stir-fried the veg on a medium heat for a couple of minutes, and added a few dashes of teriyaki sauce, before turning it down to a low heat. It is at about this point that you should turn off the rice.

5) I bought out another pan, put it on a medium-high heat, and poured in a table spoon worth of sesame oil. Once hot, I placed in my tuna fillets. I gave each one about two minutes on each side before turning it. The amount of time you should give your tuna will depend on both the thickness of your tuna pieces and how well done you like it. I wanted mine to be still raw in the centre, as Jamie's was.

6) Once I felt the tuna was done enough it was time to plate up, the rice and the greens were perfectly cooked at this point. The last thing to do once everything was on plates, was simply to sprinkle the chopped chili, spring onions, and coriander onto the rice, and add a splash of soy sauce onto the tuna. Et voila! You're done!
My Verdict:
I loved this meal! I enjoyed making it and I enjoyed eating it even more, and so did my family. 
The tuna was enough taste on its own and I was glad I hadn't used the green tea as I think it might have masked the beautiful taste. The sesame seeds and the the sesame oil were a really nice subtle flavor that worked with the tuna and the rest of the meal. 
The greens were lovely, the different flavors and textures worked well together, my only disappointment with this was I felt the teriyaki sauce was too strong for me. Next time I would either use a lot less or omit it completely. 
The coriander and spring onions were lovely extras, but the chili was, again, too strong for me and only took away from all the other lovely flavors. 
Lastly, the rice, it was amazing, so delicious! Slightly sticky and slightly sweet, i loved it! Coconut rice was now become a staple in my household - you have to try it!
______________________________________________________________________________________

Hope you enjoyed seeing my attempt at one of Jamie Oliver's '15 Minute Meals'. I was quite proud of myself, even if it did take me closer to an hour! Haha

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting :) x