Friday 24 January 2014

IBS & FODMAPs

IBS

At the beginning of June last year (2013), I began to notice strange pains in my lower tummy, back and sometimes my sides too. I have been through many many tests and antibiotics none of which seem to have done the trick and most recently (end of October 2013) I was referred to a gynecologist with possible endometriosis. He told me that it could be endometriosis or possibly IBS. He asked me to keep a 'pain diary' in order to try and work out whether my pain was related to my cycle (most likely endo.) or my eating (more likely IBS).
Within the last month or two I have noticed that my pain is often associated with my eating habits, more so than my cycle, and I have pretty much diagnosed myself with IBS - i will be going back to see my doctor within the next month for a professional diagnosis, and will update you all on how that goes.

FODMAPs

While researching into the causes, symptoms and treatments of IBS, i came across the term 'trigger foods' and the idea that IBS can be controlled through diet. Most notably i came across something called the FODMAPs elimination diet. Developed by a research team at Monash University, the diet aims to control the symptoms associated with IBS, by focussing on a group of carbohydrates they've called FODMAPs.

Click here for more information.
The idea of the diet is to cut out foods high in these carbohydrates and focus on a diet of low-FODMAP foods instead. Below is a simple table that illustrates the basics of what foods are high and low in FODMAPs.


I have begun following a low-FODMAP diet to try and see if i can get rid of my pains for a while. After a couple of weeks I aim to begin reintroducing certain food groups to see if they 'trigger' anything.
In the meantime I will be posting some of my FODMAP-friendly meal ideas and recipes. First in line is a recipe for 'Chocolate Self-Saucing Gluten & Lactose Free Brownies', sound good?
Some of my favourites for more information and recipes:

xo


*DISCLAIMER*
This post is completely my own opinions and choices. Please do not begin any sort of diet without consulting your GP first.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting :) x